It can be very frightening and distressing to see the signs and symptoms of a friend being spiked.  If you suspect a friend has been subjected to spiking try to stay calm and consider doing the following: 
  • Support them to a safe space and stay with them – call another friend to help if you can. 
  • If you are in a bar or club, tell a member of staff or security.  
  • Try to prevent your friend from drinking any more alcohol. 
  • Keep talking to your friend to reassure them. 
  • Don’t let them go home on their own, or with anyone they don’t know and trust. 
  • If their symptoms  seem serious and you think they need urgent medical attention, call 999 to speak to emergency services.
If a friend you are with has been spiked, they may be seriously unwell, and unable to make decisions for themselves. If this is the case, please help them to get medical help, by calling 999 or 111. ​If you are in a venue, approach the staff (security, bar staff, management) for help as they may be able to help your friend get medical assistance.​​ Once your friend has been seen by medical professionals, they may wish to report to the Police. If you are in a venue, the staff may also be able to help report the spiking to the police.​ If they don't require medical help make sure someone trusted stays with them so they can get home safely. 

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of another student and would like to talk to someone, please email or use the Report and Support tool. It is important to ensure the person is aware of any details you are sharing about them. You can also suggest that they contact specialist support services that feel the most comfortable for them, or if someone needs urgent assistance please contact the police by calling 999. 

If you witness spiking

If you have witnessed spiking, e.g. a drink being spiked, do tell the person before someone drinks it.  You can also inform the venue staff, including which person was responsible so they can find the perpetrator and call the police.​  If they do contact the police you may be asked to give them your evidence about what you saw. If you cannot, contact the police separately.​​ If you do not actually see someone spiking a drink, but notice someone behaving suspiciously, tell the venue staff. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened