Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999.

If you think you have been spiked, tell someone that you trust (such as a friend or venue staff) and seek medical help by going to A&E at the nearest hospital, or call 999 if you require urgent help. If you are at the University you can call University Security 24/7 on 0121 414 4444 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you. You use the SafeZone app to get assistance on campus or report an incident. The app will directly connect you to the appropriate safety/security team or first responder for that area, who will provide the assistance you need.

How do i know if I have been spiked? 

The effects of being spiked vary from person to person, and symptoms will be dependent on the substance that has been used to spike. However common symptoms can include:
  • Confusion 
  • Feeling strange or drunker than expected
  • Feeling sleepy
  • Having trouble communicating 
  • Feeling disoriented 
  • Visual problems 
  • A sense of being out of control
  • Hallucinations
  • Paranoia 
  • Lowered inhibitions 
  • Memory loss
  • Incontinence 
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness 
  • Panic/anxiety 
The effects of spiking can come on quickly and take effect within 30 minutes and can last for several hours. If you are experiencing these symptoms seek assistance from someone you trust, and seek medical attention as you may be able to get a blood test to determine if you have been spiked.  If you do want to report to the police, try to do so as soon as possible, so they have the chance to take a sample that could be used for testing. Some drugs leave the body within 12 hours, or much sooner. Other drugs can stay in the body longer, so they might be able to test you up to seven days after the incident. If someone spiked you more than seven days ago, the police would still encourage reporting as they may still be able to investigate and collect evidence. If someone has spiked you with alcohol, there are other ways the police can investigate what happened to you.

You may be able to tell if your drink has been spiked by noticing the following:
  • Foggy appearance 
  • There are excessive bubbles
  • It is cloudy
  • It tastes strange or different (especially if it’s unusually bitter or salty, don’t finish it)
  • The colour has changed (if it’s lighter, darker or even blue, pour it out immediately)
  • It looks like it has been mixed
  • The ice sinks
Remember, the responsibility and fault is always with the perpetrator. 

What should I do if I have been subjected to sexual violence after being spiked?

If you have been subjected to a sexual violence following a suspected spiking and would like to speak to someone immediately we would encourage you to contact a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). The closest SARC to the University is Horizon which is a dedicated service offering expert support and advice to anyone who has been subjected to rape or sexual assault. If it happened recently they may offer you a Forensic Medical Examination, which will be carried out by a trained doctor or nurse, to check you are okay and to collect forensic evidence such as DNA from the person who assaulted you. You can also speak to a Crisis Worker who will listen to what has happened to you and explain how they can help and what options are available to you. A Crisis Worker can make onward referrals to Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) and they can liaise with other agencies on your behalf, including the police, counselling and sexual health services. You can self-refer to Horizon by calling a 24/7 freephone number 0330 223 0099 . To find out more about the services SARC’s offer and how they can help, you can watch the NHS video, 'Turn to us, we are here' You can find your local SARC by visiting the NHS website. Find out more information on support and reporting options in relation to sexual violence.

University of Birmingham Support

It is important to look after yourself if you have been spiked as it can be frightening and overwhelming. You may feel vulnerable following the incident and feel scared to go out and socialise again. If you are feeling this way, please do reach out for support. We understand that it may be difficult to talk about what has happened but telling someone can really help. We are here to listen, give you the support you need and to help you make an informed decision about what to do next, you are not alone.

Speak to a Responder - You can use the Report and Support tool to report a spiking and speak to a trained Responder and explore your options, which could include wellbeing and academic support, practical advice, formal reporting options and safety planning. If you have sought support from another member of staff at the University they can submit an online form on your behalf to request an appointment with a Responder. They will make sure they have your permission before they submit any personal information on your behalf. To find out more about what to expect in a Responder appointment please watch our short video.
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process.

The University has a range of wellbeing support: If you are not sure who to contact, you can speak to a Wellbeing Officer within your school or college or Guild Advice for further guidance and signposting.

UBHeard is a confidential listening and support service for all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) that gives you immediate emotional and mental health support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call the service now on 0800 368 5819 (Freephone UK*) or 00353 1 518 0277 (International), or visit the UBHeard portal.

Wellbeing Officers are available in each School and are able to provide practical and emotional support for you if you are experiencing personal problems, particularly when these might interfere with your academic work. They can also guide you through the extenuating circumstances process if your studies have or are being affected.

The Community Safety Team can provide advice, practical help and information about personal safety. The team consists of our Campus Police Officer, two Police Community Support Officers (PCSO’s) and the Safety Team. They can be found in the Community Safety Hub, North Lodge, at the top of the Green Heart, between 10:00 and 16:00 Mon-Fri). There are a number of private rooms within the Hub. Just ask a member of the team on arrival or alternatively you can email the team at 

External Support

Stamp Out Spiking - is a Registered Charity, established to tackle the increasing incidents of spiking across the UK and Worldwide. They aim to raise awareness about the scale of the problem through campaigning, training  and educating. 

Spike Aware UK
is made up of people who have either been victims of drink and needle spiking or had their lives impacted in some way by this crime.  Spike Aware UK offers a support network for victims of drink and needle spiking in the UK.

Life Stuff
– facts and information, including self-help resources, about spiking for young people. Preventing drink spiking & what to do if a drink is spiked (

Victim Support
– support line for victims of crime: 08 08 16 89 111, online form or live chat service

Change Grow Live - A service that provides information on what to do if you have been spiked.

Birmingham LGBT - Offer inclusivity, understanding and support to all genders & sexualities

Talk to Frank
- Information on spiking and gives information on the types of drugs that can be used in spiking 

Reporting Options

Reporting to the Police  
If you feel it is not an emergency you can still report the incident to the police by calling 101 or by using the West Midlands Police Live Chat or find your local police force. An officer will take some details and should issue you with a crime reference number. There are specially trained staff and units within Police forces that can support you through the reporting process. Find out more about your options for reporting sexual violence to the police.

The Eqalitarian is a community based database where you can anonymously report spiking. You can also use the database to read reports submitted by others, the report will include details such as date of incident, the venue and  their response. 

Making a formal complaint to the University
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process.

If you do wish to make a formal complaint about another student for the purposes of initiating an internal disciplinary process, we would advise you to contact Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals to talk about the process involved. This will allow you to ask questions, make sure you are fully aware of what the process would involve before you submit a formal complaint. You can contact the Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals office by emailing 

If you would like to make a complaint about the conduct of a University of Birmingham staff member you can find out more on in the Raising a Concern or Complaint section on our Intranet pages. 

If you decide to report the matter to the police and the University, you can email Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals ( with the following details: 

• The Crime Reference Number(s) 
• Details of the student you have reported to the Police (Name/Course) 
• Details of when the alleged offence(s) occurred 
• Details of where the alleged offence(s) occurred 
• A brief indication of the offence(s) under investigation (e.g., harassment, assault).

If you do decide to report to the University and/or the Police, a Responder can provide support to you before, during and after any process.  


There are two ways you can tell us what happened