Urgent Support

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger, or seriously injured, call 999.

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security 24/7 on 0121 414 4444 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you. You use the SafeZone app to get assistance on campus or report an incident. The app will directly connect you to the appropriate safety team or first responder for that area, who will provide the assistance you need.
Source: https://www.actionagainststalking.org/youngpeople

University of Birmingham Support

We understand that it may be difficult to talk about what has happened but telling someone can really help. We are here to listen, give you the support you need and to help you make an informed decision about what to do next, you are not alone.
Speak to a Responder - You can use the Report and Support tool to make a disclosure and speak to a trained Responder and explore your options, which could include wellbeing and academic support, practical advice, formal reporting options and safety planning. If you have sought support from another member of staff at the University they can submit an online form on your behalf to request an appointment with a Responder. They will make sure they have your permission before they submit any personal information on your behalf. To find out more about what to expect in a Responder appointment please watch our short video.
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process.

The University has a range of wellbeing support. If you are not sure who to contact, you can speak to a Wellbeing Officer within your school or college or Guild Advice for further guidance and signposting.

UBHeard is a confidential listening and support service for all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) that gives you immediate emotional and mental health support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call the service now on 0800 368 5819 (Freephone UK*) or 00353 1 518 0277 (International), or visit the UBHeard portal.

Wellbeing Officers are available in each School and are able to provide practical and emotional support for you if you are experiencing personal problems, particularly when these might interfere with your academic work. They can also guide you through the extenuating circumstances process if your studies have or are being affected.

The Community Safety Team can provide advice, practical help and information about personal safety. The team consists of our Campus Police Officer, two Police Community Support Officers (PCSO’s) and the Safety Team. They can be found in the Community Safety Hub, North Lodge, at the top of the Green Heart, between 10:00 and 16:00 Mon-Fri). There are a number of private rooms within the Hub. Just ask a member of the team on arrival or alternatively you can email the team at communitysafetyteam@contacts.bham.ac.uk 

External Support

National Stalking Helpline, operated by the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, gives practical information, support, and advice on risk, safety planning and legislation to victims of stalking, their friends, family, and professionals working with victims. You can call  0808 802 0300, 09:30 - 16:00, Monday to Friday (available under the later time of 20:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays).

Paladin Service  is trauma-informed service, to assist high risk victims of stalking in England and Wales. Their trained team of accredited Independent Stalking Advocacy Caseworkers (ISACs) ensure that victims of stalking are supported and that a coordinated community response is developed locally to keep victims and their children safe.

Action Against Stalking is a non-gendered service for victims of stalking. They provide a unique throughcare service designed to address all aspects of the experience of being stalked.

Protection Against Stalking is a national charity working within communities to raise public awareness about stalking and support victims of stalking through providing specialist support services.

Women’s Aid is a national organisation providing support for women and children subjected to domestic abuse, including behaviours such as harassment, stalking and online abuse. Further information on safety planning, as well as practical and emotional support is available through our local Birmingham and Solihull’s Women’s Aid or Black Country Women’s Aid Stalking and Harassment Service, who can be contacted between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday on 0121 553 0090, or, alternatively, out of hours there is a 24 hour helpline available on 0121 552 6448.

Umbrella (Sexual health support) is an organisation which offers various services relating to sexual health, for example, self-sampling STI kits that can be ordered online. The national sexual health helpline number is 0800 567 123 and it is free to call. For more information please visit the NHS's 'Where can I get sexual health advice, now?' webpage. Umbrella also offer a Young People’s Counselling Service.  To self-refer call 0121 237 5700 or text 0734 173 9453 (Monday – Wednesday) 0796 845 9179 (Wednesday – Friday). 

The Cyber Helpline is a charity who provide expert help for victims of cybercrime and online harm including online harassment and stalking. 

Refuge Tech Safety provides information and support on technology-facilitated abuse, including how to secure your devices.

Victim Support help anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you coping with the after-effects of crime and help with reporting to the police

Reporting Options

Reporting to the Police
If you feel it is not an emergency you can still report the incident to the police by calling 101, by using the West Midlands Police Live Chat or find your local police force. An officer will take some details and may issue you with a crime reference number. There are specially trained staff and units within Police forces that can support you through the reporting process. Find out more about your options for reporting stalking to the police.

Making a formal complaint to the University 
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process.

If you do wish to make a formal report about another student for the purposes of initiating an internal disciplinary process, we would advise you to contact Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals to talk about the process involved. This will allow you to ask questions, make sure you are fully aware of what the process would involve before you submit a formal complaint. You can contact the Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals office by emailing conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk 

If you would like to make a complaint about the conduct of a University of Birmingham staff member you can find out more on in the Raising a Concern or Complaint section on our Intranet pages. 
If you decide to report the matter to the police and the University, you may not be required to fill in the concern review form, as per the Conduct guidance above. Instead, you can email Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals at conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk with the following details: 

• The Crime Reference Number(s) 

• Details of the student you have reported to the Police (Name/Course) 

• Details of when the alleged offence(s) occurred 

• Details of where the alleged offence(s) occurred 

• A brief indication of the offence(s) under investigation (e.g., harassment, assault)

If you do decide to report to the University and/or the Police, a Responder can provide support to you before, during and after any process.  


There are two ways you can tell us what happened