Urgent Support

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999.

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security 24/7 on 0121 414 4444 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you. You use the SafeZone app to get assistance on campus or report an incident. The app will directly connect you to the appropriate safety/security team or first responder for that area, who will provide the assistance you need.

If you would like to speak to someone immediately we would encourage you to contact a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). The closest SARC to the University is Horizon which is a dedicated service offering expert support and advice to anyone who has been subjected to rape or sexual assault. If it happened recently they may offer you a Forensic Medical Examination, which will be carried out by a trained doctor or nurse, to check you are okay and to collect forensic evidence such as DNA from the person who assaulted you. You can also speak to a Crisis Worker who will listen to what has happened to you and explain how they can help and what options are available to you. A Crisis Worker can make onward referrals to Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) and they can liaise with other agencies on your behalf, including the police, counselling and sexual health services. You can self-refer to Horizon by calling a 24/7 freephone number 0330 223 0099 . To find out more about the services SARC’s offer and how they can help, you can watch the NHS video, 'Turn to us, we are here' You can find your local SARC by visiting the NHS website.

University of Birmingham Support

We understand that it may be difficult to talk about what has happened but telling someone can really help. We are here to listen, give you the support you need and to help you make an informed decision about what to do next, you are not alone.

Speak to a Responder - You can use the Report and Support tool to make a disclosure and speak to a trained Responder and explore your options, which could include wellbeing and academic support, practical advice, formal reporting options and safety planning. If you have sought support from another member of staff at the University they can submit an online form on your behalf to request an appointment with a Responder. They will make sure they have your permission before they submit any personal information on your behalf. To find out more about what to expect in a Responder appointment please watch our short video.
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process.

The University has a range of wellbeing support: If you are not sure who to contact, you can speak to a Wellbeing Officer within your school or college or Guild Advice for further guidance and signposting.

UBHeard is a confidential listening and support service for all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) that gives you immediate emotional and mental health support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call the service now on 0800 368 5819 (Freephone UK*) or 00353 1 518 0277 (International), or visit the UBHeard portal.

Wellbeing Officers are available in each School and are able to provide practical and emotional support for you if you are experiencing personal problems, particularly when these might interfere with your academic work. They can also guide you through the extenuating circumstances process if your studies have or are being affected.

The Community Safety Team can provide advice, practical help and information about personal safety. The team consists of our Campus Police Officer, two Police Community Support Officers (PCSO’s) and the Safety Team. They can be found in the Community Safety Hub, North Lodge, at the top of the Green Heart, between 10:00 and 16:00 Mon-Fri). There are a number of private rooms within the Hub. Just ask a member of the team on arrival or alternatively you can email the team at communitysafetyteam@contacts.bham.ac.uk 

External Support

Please find a list of external services that provide help and support. This list includes organisations that specialise in supporting men and LGBT+ people who have been subjected to sexual violence and domestic abuse. 

The Rape and Sexual Violence Project (RSVP) offer a wide range of services to people who have been subjected to sexual violence and abuse. Their services include counselling and offers support through an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA), who offer practical and emotional support, ensuring that your views, opinions, wishes and feelings are respected, and listened to by all agencies and people involved.

GINA  provide immediate, paid for counselling services, with counsellors who are specialists in the field of sexual violence & abuse. You can access our counselling services at the time when you request support, to quickly meet your needs, offered in a way that suits you. There is no waiting list. 

GINA Support Hubs are designed as online platforms tailored to offer you bespoke support, information & resources based on your needs. There is a dedicated support hub for students! 

The Survivor’s Trust is the largest umbrella agency for the specialist rape and sexual abuse services in the UK. The Survivors Trust have a Resources Website which explores a specific area associated with the effects that survivors of rape and/or sexual abuse experience in the aftermath of sexual trauma. The website provides a resource for survivors and anyone who wants to learn more about impact of SV, or wants to use as a self-help toolkit as part of their recovery journey.

Victim Focus - Free course on caring for yourself after sexual violence. 

Victim Support is an independent charity that help people affected by crime and traumatic events. They are not part of the police or any other criminal justice agency. You can contact them on 0808 168 9111.

National Women’s Aid (Domestic abuse) provide information and support and also refuge support for people fleeing domestic abuse.

Black Country Women’s Aid & Birmingham Women’s Aid – support individuals subjected to domestic abuse and exploitation to escape violence, cope with trauma and rebuild their lives.  

Umbrella (Sexual health support) is an organisation which offers various services relating to sexual health, for example, self-sampling STI kits that can be ordered online. The national sexual health helpline number is 0800 567 123 and it is free to call. For more information please visit the NHS's 'Where can I get sexual health advice, now?' webpage. Umbrella also offer a Young People’s Counselling Service.  To self-refer call 0121 237 5700 or text 0734 173 9453 (Monday – Wednesday) 0796 845 9179 (Wednesday – Friday). 

Birmingham LGBT offers a range of services focused on improving the health and wellbeing of individuals, including sexual health support, LGBT Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) and wellbeing support services. 

GALOP supports all LGBT+ people who’ve experienced hate crime, domestic abuse or sexual violence. 

Dedicated support for men can be provided by  SurvivorsUK who offer a range of support services, including counselling, therapy appointments and online chat. The organisation was established as a service for male survivors, however they are an inclusive service and welcome anyone who identifies as male, trans, non-binary, has identified as male in the past, or anyone who feels that we are the right fit for them.

Safeline has a national male helpline and online support for men affected by rape or sexual abuse. 

Kooth is an online wellbeing community providing free, safe, anonymous support for young people to receive counselling, advice and online support

The Waiting Room is a directory of health and wellbeing services across Birmingham and Solihull

Reporting Options

Reporting to the Police  
If you feel it is not an emergency you can still report the incident to the police by calling 101 or by using the West Midlands Police Live Chat or find your local police force. An officer will take some details and should issue you with a crime reference number. There are specially trained staff and units within Police forces that can support you through the reporting process. Find out more about your options for reporting sexual violence to the police.

Making a formal complaint to the University
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process.

If you do wish to make a formal complaint about another student for the purposes of initiating an internal disciplinary process, we would advise you to contact Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals to talk about the process involved. This will allow you to ask questions, make sure you are fully aware of what the process would involve before you submit a formal complaint. You can contact the Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals office by emailing conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk 

If you would like to make a complaint about the conduct of a University of Birmingham staff member you can find out more on in the Raising a Concern or Complaint section on our Intranet pages. 

If you decide to report the matter to the police and the University, you can email Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals (conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk) with the following details: 

• The Crime Reference Number(s) 
• Details of the student you have reported to the Police (Name/Course) 
• Details of when the alleged offence(s) occurred 
• Details of where the alleged offence(s) occurred 
• A brief indication of the offence(s) under investigation (e.g., harassment, assault).

If you do decide to report to the University and/or the Police, a Responder can provide support to you before, during and after any process.  

There are two ways you can tell us what happened