If you're worried someone might see you have been on this page, find out how to cover your tracks online

Urgent Support 

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger, or seriously injured, call 999.

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security 24/7 on 0121 414 4444 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you. You use the SafeZone app to get assistance on campus or report an incident. The app will directly connect you to the appropriate safety team or first responder for that area, who will provide the assistance you need. 

University of Birmingham support 

The University has developed a Framework to support staff experiencing domestic abuse. Further details of the Framework and support and resources for staff can be found here

To access further support, submit a report with your contact details via Report and Support and an appropriate person will contact you. (For more information regarding what happens when you make a report, please click here)
If you are an employee of the University you can access support from the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)which provides a completely safe and confidential service where you can discuss your situation. Your problem will be listened to, you will be offered impartial advice and you can talk you through your options. 

External Support 

National Domestic Violence helpline. Call 0808 2000 247 for confidential advice 24/7.

Victim Support help anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you coping with the after-effects of crime and help with reporting to the police.

Refuge provides practical and legal support for all forms of domestic abuse.

Women’s Aid is a national organisation providing support for women and children in domestic abuse situations. Further information on safety planning, as well as practical and emotional support is available through our local Birmingham and Solihull’s Women’s Aid or Black Country Women’s Aid, who have a confidential, 24 hour helpline available on 0121 552 6448.

Mankind. Their confidential helpline is available for all men across the UK subjected to domestic violence by their current or former wife or partner (including same-sex partner). Call 01823 334244 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Men’s Advice Line. Telephone support available on 0808 8010327, Mon–Fri 10am-8pm as well as webchat and email support services.

National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse helpline run by Galop provides emotional and practical support for LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse. Call 0800 999 5428 10am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (open until 8pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays).

Halo Project provides support for victim survivors and those at risk of forced marriage, honour-based abuse and female genital mutilation (FGM)

Roshni Birmingham provide a 24 hour multilingual helpline for victim survivors and those at risk of forced marriage and honour-based abuse. Call  0800 953 9777.

National Stalking Helpline, operated by the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, the National Stalking Helpline gives practical information, support, and advice on risk, safety planning and legislation to victims of stalking, their friends, family, and professionals working with victims. 09:30 - 16:00, Monday to Friday, apart from Wednesday's (09:30 - 20:00)

Rights of Women services aim to provide women with the legal advice and information they need to understand and use the law and their legal rights. We also work to improve the law for women and increase women’s access to justice and safety following domestic abuse and sexual violence. 

Reporting Options 

Reporting to the Police
If you feel it is not an emergency you can still report the incident to the police by calling 101, by using the West Midlands Police Live Chat or find your local police force. An officer will take some details and may issue you with a crime reference number. There are specially trained staff and units within Police forces that can support you through the reporting process. Find out more about your options for reporting domestic abuse to the police.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened