Urgent Support

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger, or seriously injured, call 999.

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security 24/7 on 0121 414 4444 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you. You use the SafeZone app to get assistance on campus or report an incident. The app will directly connect you to the appropriate safety team or first responder for that area, who will provide the assistance you need. 

University of Birmingham support

We understand that it may be difficult to talk about what has happened but telling someone can really help. We are here to listen, give you the support you need and to help you make an informed decision about what to do next, you are not alone.

UoB Sport & Fitness: If you would like support with anything, including how to report inappropriate behaviour (including initiations), please email: sportclubdevelopment@contacts.bham.ac.uk outlining your concerns. Reports can include but are not limited to: an individual report, student on student, staff on student etc.  Once you submit a report, a member of UoB Sport & Fitness team will be in contact with you to discuss your concerns. 

Speak to a Responder - If you have been subjected to sexual violence, domestic abuse, harassment, hate, discrimination or bullying, then you can use the Report and Support tool to make a disclosure and speak to a trained Responder and explore your options. This could include wellbeing and academic support, practical advice, formal reporting options and safety planning. If you have sought support from another member of staff at the University they can submit an online form on your behalf to request an appointment with a Responder. They will make sure they have your permission before they submit any personal information on your behalf. 
Please be aware that submitting an online form through Report and Support is primarily about making a disclosure and accessing support. Making a disclosure will not automatically initiate University disciplinary procedures, this is a separate process 

University of Birmingham Wellbeing Support

The University has a range of wellbeing support. If you are not sure who to contact, you can speak to a Wellbeing Officer within your school or college or Guild Advice for further guidance and signposting.

UBHeard is a confidential listening and support service for all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) that gives you immediate emotional and mental health support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call the service now on 0800 368 5819 (Freephone UK*) or 00353 1 518 0277 (International), or visit the UBHeard portal.

Wellbeing Officers are available in each School and are able to provide practical and emotional support for you if you are experiencing personal problems, particularly when these might interfere with your academic work. They can also guide you through the extenuating circumstances process if your studies have or are being affected.

The Community Safety Team can provide advice, practical help and information about personal safety. The team consists of our Campus Police Officer, two Police Community Support Officers (PCSO’s) and the Safety Team. They can be found in the Community Safety Hub, North Lodge, at the top of the Green Heart, between 10:00 and 16:00 Mon-Fri). There are a number of private rooms within the Hub. Just ask a member of the team on arrival or alternatively you can email the team at communitysafetyteam@contacts.bham.ac.uk

Reporting options

Reporting to UoB Sport & Fitness: If you would like to report anything which is not mentioned above, including initiations, please email sportclubdevelopment@contacts.bham.ac.uk outlining your concerns. Reports can include but are not limited to: an individual report, student on student, staff on student etc. Once you submit a report, a member of the UoB Sport & Fitness team will be in contact with you to discuss your concerns

Formally Report to the University
If you do wish to make a formal complaint about another student for the purposes of initiating an internal disciplinary process, we would advise you to contact Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals to talk about the process involved. This will allow you to ask questions, make sure you are fully aware of what the process would involve before you submit a formal complaint. You can contact the Student Conduct Complaints and Appeals office by emailing conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk 

If you would like to make a complaint about the conduct of a University of Birmingham staff member you can find out more on in the Raising a Concern or Complaint section on our Intranet pages.

If you decide to report the matter to the police and the University, you may not be required to fill in the concern review form, as per the Conduct guidance above. Instead, you can email Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals at conduct@contacts.bham.ac.uk with the following details: 

• The Crime Reference Number(s) 
• Details of the student you have reported to the Police (Name/Course) 
• Details of when the alleged offence(s) occurred 
• Details of where the alleged offence(s) occurred 
• A brief indication of the offence(s) under investigation (e.g., harassment, assault).

There are two ways you can tell us what happened